Sunday, September 22, 2013

Day 20, Bailey-3rd Grader

Mrs. Craig’s class has been counting coins. Some students used an open number line to determine the value of the coins.  An open number line has no numbers or marks on it. It is a visual representation for recording and sharing students’ thinking strategies during the process of mental computation.




Bailey explains how she arrived at her answer-  “Mrs. Craig had us get out certain coins. We could choose a strategy to count the amount.  I used an open number line. I put 4 half dollars as 50 cents each. That equaled $2.00. Then I added 25 cents two times for 2 quarters. That was $2.50.   And then I added 5 cents 2 times for nickels and I had $2.60. Plus ten cents for a dime is $2.70. I added 3 cents for 3 pennies for a total of $2.73. I like number lines because they make things go by fast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment