Monday, February 8, 2016

Kindergarten Team

Celebrating 100 Days of Learning

Tuesday, February 2nd marked the 100th day of the school year! The number 100 is a very important number in our number system and in kindergarten the students learn that 10 groups of 10 make 100!  The whole day was dedicated to the number 100 where students wrote about, played games with it, and counted to it!

The adventure started at home, where students created shirts with their parents of 100 items!

“How I made my shirt is glue lots of (googly) eyes. After a while we counted over and over.” –Chase

“When I made my shirt with my mom I made fingerprints. We made our family. It had a 100 thumbprints.” - Joseph



And what’s a celebration without creating a crown to celebrate being 100 days smarter?!?!



"I liked making a crown! It was fun!" -Ziya

Our students not only exercised their brains, but showed their strength and endurance by doing 100 exercises!

“It was fun and we had to do squats and jumps. It made me tired.” -Colby


The day was filled with counting to 100 by ones, fives and tens!

“I was excited because on the 100th day of school you do lots of cool stuff and lots of activities.”- Carys


Mrs. Yezak-McDonald’s class voted the number search as “Best 100th Day Activity Ever”. The teachers placed stickers with all the numbers from 1 to 100 around the room. Students had to search for them and color them in on a 100 chart when they found them.

“It was really hard because Mrs. M hid one on her arm and she hid the 100 sticker behind a bookshelf.” –Berlyn

During Writing Workshop, students created a book based on 100 things that they wanted and didn’t want.


“I liked when I said I wish I had 100 donuts.” -Sophia

Students created at their own trail mix by group ten different snacks into groups of ten!



“I loved the 100th day trail mix. It was yummy and fun!”      - Maci


“We made a chart. We put the all the things we learned on it like, ‘I know how encourage a buddy reader. And I know how to put spaces in my writing.’ –Kylie

Why do we put so much emphasis on 100?
The number 100 is an important anchor number. Understanding the concept of 100 helps students with their number sense and place value. As for the hundreds chart, it allows for the discovery of patterns and relationships between numbers and can be a valuable reinforcement tool for many math concepts. The main focus is to assist students to visualize the patterns in the hundreds chart, which will improve their ability to calculate mentally. While initially students may need to see a chart, ultimately they will visualize the patterns and solve problems without reference to the chart.
Plus… as you can see. It’s so engaging and fun for the students while they learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment