Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 32, Noah-5th Grade Student

Root Beer Lab Goes Home

In my 5th grade science class with Ms. Monroe we were starting an experiment on sublimation. We used dry ice, root beer extract, water, and sugar. Ms. Monroe poured a gallon of water in a tub, then put 2 cups of sugar in.  Next she put 24 milliliters of root beer extract in.  She put the dry ice in last and it started sublimating (turning from a solid to a gas or from a gas to a solid) quickly. Lots of cold white carbon dioxide started streaming out of the tub.  It was cool to watch and delicious to drink! 

As soon as I got home that night I told my parents all about it. I asked if we could go to the store immediately, but they said not that night. A few days later I asked again but they said no again! Two nights later my dad went to the store to get the ingredients. He got the sugar, but the root beer extract wasn’t there (he got vanilla extract instead), and he didn’t get the dry ice because it might sublimate too much. The next day we went to the store to get the dry ice. When we got it we went home to make it.

First I showed my little brothers what happens when you put dry ice in water. Then my middle brother blew all the carbon dioxide off of the tub we put it in. When my little brother saw that he wanted to do it too, so I had to lift him up so he could blow it too. Then I got another container out and put water, sugar, vanilla extract, and dry ice in and waited for it to get mixed together. While we were waiting I showed them the dry ice on a metal spoon vibrating, and pouring gas. Finally it was done! I poured both of my brothers and my dad a cup and they all liked it. My mom did not try it because she is not eating any sugar right now.  Then I tasted it and said I liked it but not as much as the root beer. I asked my mom if we could go back and look for root beer extract later and she said maybe. It was fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment