Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 43-Kelly, 5th Grade Challenge Student

On the road in Challenge, by Kelly K.


Today we went to the weather museum – Weather Center Houston. We saw experiments on moving air, high pressure, and low pressure, and we saw that you can absorb water to a “low pressure area”, just by using an orange, matches (the more the better), a glass of water, and a plate.


Our day’s activities were:  scavenger hunt, moving air, and hurricane experience. We learned about hurricanes, tornadoes, and about predicting weather. We also learned about different climates such as tundra, and sub-tropical. We found out how meteorologists predict weather.  We got to see how dust devils are formed, and about how solar and lunar eclipses can’t change the weather under them.   We saw what happens when a tornado is finished. It splits up (majority goes back up to the storm cloud that it came from).  

We learned that the green screen is the best color for weather reports because not many meteorologists who tell the weather normally wear green. When they used blue, it was chaos because meteorologists who wore the right blue color became “walking maps”, and even if their eyes were the right shade, their eyes would have the map on them.  We even got to experience the wind force of a Category 1 hurricane in the Hurricane Simulator.  It was awesome!

 




 






Student thoughts on the field trip:

  • We got to do the camera (green screen).  Ben
  • I liked being in the hurricane simulator because it was cold and windy! Hunter
  • I liked the scavenger hunt because we got to really look at things and go places we hadn’t.  Kaden
  • I liked the room where it had a green background because if you took a green piece of paper over your face you would turn into the map.  Bailey
  • I liked when he put matches in an apple, lit them, covered it with a glass, and it created low pressure and sucked the water into the glass.  Luke

  • I liked the part when we saw the animals and talked about the habitats.  Bryan
  • I like the scavenger hunt the most because we got to search the museum and learned stuff we didn’t know before.  Maddie
  • I liked being in the hurricane simulator, the scavenger hunt, and being on the green screen.  Audrey
  • I liked the animals and talking about the habitats.  Sam

  • My favorite part of the weather museum was the tornado.  Chloe
  • I liked when I made the fire world and water spout out of the legos.    Carson
  • I liked the challenge of the scavenger hunt because it stretched my brain.  Jared
  • I liked the match experiment because I like learning about vacuums.    Noah
  • I liked when we saw high pressure and low pressure experiments, and lunch! Ava
  • I liked the scavenger hunt best because it made me look more closely and learn more.  Ethan

  • I liked building with the legos best.  Ryan
  • I liked the hurricane simulator best because I got to experience the wind of a Cat. 1 hurricane.  Trevor
  • My favorite part was playing the news and pretending I was invisible.  Matthew
  • My favorite part was the hurricane simulator because it was fun – and cold!   Peter
  • My favorite part was the scavenger hunt because I was good at it.  Gavin
  • My favorite part was the scavenger hunt because I got to learn a lot of new things. Brodie
  • I liked the scavenger hunt because it was fun and difficult at the same time.  Jayden



No comments:

Post a Comment